20 Examples of How to Write an Attractive Tinder Bio￼￼
It’s relatively easy to set up a profile on Tinder or your dating app of choice, but it’s not quite as simple to attract the matches you’re looking for. Along with choosing the right photos (can we chill with the hunting pics, please?!) and crafting thoughtful opening lines, having a quality bio will go far in making your profile stand out from the zillions of other singles out there.
What do the best Tinder bios look like?
The key to a great Tinder bio might seem counterintuitive. Even though you’re obviously on the app to find a mate, you actually shouldn’t use your bio to list what you are or aren’t looking for, says Sarrah Rose, a certified tantric sex, love, and relationship coach.
“Compatibility is very important in a relationship, but so is attraction,” Rose says. “If you’re narrow-minded about what type of [person] you’ll date, you may miss out on someone really magical that is just outside of the box you created.”
Instead of making your bio all about your dream partner, make it all about you. Talk about your job, your kids, politics, religion—whatever “makes you interesting and stand out from the rest,” Rose says. “What’s your unique flavor of you? What are your passions? What really lights you up? If you don’t have anything, then that should be your first step before even getting on an app.” (Harsh, but fair!)
And listen, even if you’re totally burned out on dating apps, try to make your bio sound as upbeat as possible, says Jonathan Kirkland, head of marketing and brand for BLK, the largest dating and lifestyle app for Black singles.
“Yes, you have had breakups, but no need to air that out on the app,” Kirkland says. “Keep your bio positive and optimistic—that’s the whole nature of dating apps. Nobody wants to date a Dougie Downer.”
Once you’ve figured out what to highlight in your bio, it’s time to get writing. It’s important to be concise, according to Kirkland.
“It takes about one second for someone to swipe left or right on your picture. We live in a world of short attention span and living in the now,” he says. “Make your bio easy to read and fun. This can be done through listicles, Top 3 lists, This or That, and other easily readable copy.”
Here’s another pro tip from Kirkland: make your bio your first message.
“End your bio asking the potential match a question,” he explains. “This opens the conversation and lets your bio serve as the first message and gives the other person a prompt for opening up the conversation.”
Here are some sample bios to get you inspired.
First, some suggestions from Rose. Notice how her sample bios get across the important details (kids, politics, religion) in a super-positive way.
1) “Hi, I’m Joe. I’m an attorney by day, and in my spare time, I’m writing my first novel. Training for the next marathon is my go-to stress relief. I’m an avid reader of the Economist and the Atlantic. I keep up-to-date with politics but try to stay out of the drama. Early morning meditation is my spiritual practice. My ex-wife and I co-parent our two kids.
“I’m here on this app to meet you so can you do me one favor to help me out? I have a quick question for you to answer. What’s the first date you’ve always wanted to go on and have never come close to? Click the message button and let me know!”
2) “Hi, I’m Sam. I own my own Software Development company. I love jazz and go watch my favorite bands as often as possible. To get out of my head, I go rock climbing. I grew up in a very political family and I carry on that tradition by being active in the local campaigns. I find a lot of peace by attending church on Sunday mornings and by being a part of that community.
“I’ve been in a couple of great long term relationships and am ready to find someone special to build a life with. Send me a message and let me know what your favorite type of food is. I know the best spots in town!”
3) “Hi, I’m Mike. I’m a professional photographer for National Geographic. I’ve been to 86 countries, and my favorite is Turkey. The food is incredible! I train Muay Thai as often as possible and hit up comedy shows when I can. I believe more in humanity than politics or religion. Because of my travel schedule, I prefer to keep relationships casual and to focus on having a great time when we’re together.
“Where’s the most beautiful place you’ve traveled to? I’d love to hear about it. Send a message and lmk!”
Next, some sample bios from Kirkland. Notice how he keeps things concise, with plenty of opportunities for interaction from potential matches.
4) Top 3 List: “3 things I can’t live without: bike, dog, mom.”
5) This or That: “What are your preferences? Beach vs. Hike; Gym vs. Club; Salad vs. Burger.”
6) Listicle: “Favorite song: “Why Don’t we Fall in Love” by Amerie / Favorite Food: Arroz con Pollo / Favorite Movie: Who Framed Roger Rabbit.“
7) Ending on a question: “My favorite vacation spot is Barcelona. There’s nothing like a little siesta to keep the party going all night. What’s your favorite travel destination?”
Using Kirkland and Rose’s advice, we came up with a few more fun examples of lines you can use in your dating app profile:
8) “The 3 most-recent Netflix shows I loved: The Haunting of Bly Manor, The Queen’s Gambit, The Crown. How about you?”
9) “My top 3 guilty pleasures: reality TV dating shows, cheesy thrillers, my mom’s chocolate chip cookies.”
10) “I love watching movies. What does your ideal movie night look like? Action vs. Rom-Com; Popcorn vs. Candy; Theater vs. Couch.”
11) “I’m a literary agent by day, but when I’m not reading historical fiction manuscripts, I love to travel—especially in Eastern Europe, where my family’s from. What does your dream vacation look like? Relaxing vs. Action-Packed; City vs. Nature; International vs. Road Trip.”
12) “What does your ideal date look like? Takeout vs. Cooking; Movie Night vs. Night Out; Concert vs. Comedy Show.”
13) “3 foods I can’t live without: NYC bagels, late-night nachos, my mom’s lasagna. What are your favorites?”
14) “Favorite Friday night activity: opening a bottle of wine and cooking a new recipe / Favorite Saturday morning activity: taking my daughter to the park / What I’m watching on Netflix right now: Cobra Kai.“
15) “Favorite movie series: James Bond / Favorite book series: A Song of Ice and Fire / Favorite TV series: Yellowstone.“
16) “I love staying plugged into political news, and I’m a vocal supporter of progressive ideals. What causes are you passionate about?”
17) “I’m an aspiring writer currently working as a manager at a coffee shop. I can do some pretty impressive latte art, but personally, I’m more of a black coffee kinda guy. What’s your drink of choice?”
18) “I don’t have kids (and don’t plan to), but I do have two German Shepherds who mean the world to me. Do you have any pets?”
19) “Now that my two kids are in college, I have a lot more time to try new things. My work as a programmer at a tech startup keeps me busy, but on the weekends, I’ve been mountain biking in the hills near my house and trying my hand at racquetball. What are your favorite hobbies?”
20) “I love reading, especially fantasy novels. I’ve read the Lord of the Rings books more times than I can count (yup, I’m a nerd). What kinds of books do you like?”